February 29th still is a weird day to me. Still, this year I’m grateful for the 366th day. It’s been a busy month, and today feels like a bonus I’m taking a break from editing photos to reflect, once more, on my 2012 resolutions. See how I’m doing.
1. BLOGGING – Okay. I haven’t been doing this quite as much as I could have. But honestly, I haven’t had much to blog about. I mean, I could have done 3 consecutive posts about “how I’m editing photos and preparing prints for various shops”, but if posting more means repeating myself, I’d rather post a little less. I hope March brings a little more excitement though
2. SLEEP CYCLE – Sucks heavily this month. I can’t seem to settle into a proper routine, either. Need to really get on top of this one.
3. READING – Still not reading as much as I’d like. Crap.
(So far I’m doing horribly!)
4. BUYING BOOKS – Okay. Have not bought a single book yet.
5. SAVING MONEY – I’ve spent quite a bit this month… but I’ve also saved some. So it’s 50/50 really.
6. LAUNDRY – I’ve got this together, must say.
7. EARRINGS – epic fail, again.
8. WORK ON CONCEPTUAL PHOTOS – I did fine up until a week ago. I think once spring pops around, I’ll be more inspired.
9. HEALTHIER EATING – Still doing okay here. I’m making better choices now. I am even eating fruit. WHAT!
10. TRY NEW RECIPES – Still have not opened a recipe book. I’ve just been too tired / busy / both to spend longer than 30 minutes in the kitchen :/
11. PHOTOGRAPH LIFE – Same as 8.
(Look at me, I can’t even blog full on sentences anymore. Gah. I need to get back to editing photos soon…)
12. GET ORGANIZED – This I’m not too bad at either. I need to be a bit more disciplined in crossing items off my list the day I intend to complete them instead of finishing them a few days later. I finish what I want to get done, but there’s still some procrastination in there. This is related to #2 though. I need to get that routine in order.
13. SOCIALIZE – I’m spending a lot of time with family these days, and I feel good about that.
14. DON’T GIVE UP – I currently am very busy, but that’s a good thing. Because I’m working towards my goals. I’m not giving up, even though it’s not going as fast / well as I’d hoped. Mostly as fast. But I feel like I’m on my way, progressing, and that’s enough. I shouldn’t give up, but I also shouldn’t rush myself or push myself too hard.
15. STYLE – …I am on the right track. I’ve been clothes shopping a few times this month. (Skirts!) It’s something that I needed to do. I feel more mature with my newer outfits but there’s also a confidence there that has been lacking.
Well, that’s it for February. March, I hope you’ll leave me with more to write and photograph and share here
How are you doing on your resolutions?
PS – I had intended to watch and blog about the Oscars this year. But honestly, I correctly guessed the most important winners (it was hardly a surprising year) and I opted for much-needed sleep instead of staying up from 2 to 6 in the morning, feeling mostly tired and underwhelmed. That said:
- What’s the big deal! J.Lo barely slipped anything. “OH MY GOD, IT’S A TINY BIT OF AREOLA, NIIIIIP SLIIIIIP!!!” Gah, America and their fear of nipples and, apparently, the skin surrounding them. Seriously.
- Angelina Jolie – sassy doesn’t work for you.
- Jim Rash – sassy does work for YOU, my dear, dear Dean.
- And I love Emma Stone.
Not a lot of blogging this week, either. I’ve been really busy with my business; in the evenings I’d often just turn the computer off and leave it off. I’m trying to do that more, to do as much as I can in between “office hours” and relax come dinner time.
I’ve also spent a lot of time with my inlaws at the farm: Friday was pancake day. Yummm. It’s been ages since I’ve had pancakes (they’re more like crepes here actually), Wil doesn’t like them. He really doesn’t. Aw. So when Broer offered I was like, Um, OF COURSE I’ll come have pancakes, haha. It was wonderful to have them again for a change
I’ve also had a session this week!
At the end of 2011 I realized for myself that I needed to get out of my comfort zone, be more open to other things and try something different every once in a while. In life, but mostly in photography. But I also want to stay true to my style. This week I planned and shot my first boudoir session. Different setting, my style.
It was such a great experience. You know, I was nervous, because I thought I’d find this difficult to do – I consider myself to be a bit awkward in general, shy as well. If you ask people who really know me if I’d be interested in boudoir photography, they’d probably say no or react with surprise. I’m too introverted in some areas. I mean, I’m outgoing and make jokes, and try to have fun with sessions. Always. But I mean it in a being vs. seeing & creating sort of way. Do you have to be a certain person to be able to create certain photos?
I’ve learned this week that the answer is no. Feeling generally more awkward doesn’t mean I can’t understand elegance or femininity when it’s right in front of me. There’s being and there’s appreciating. I don’t always understand myself but I understand my photography.
I found that being introverted works in my favor: I turn it into softness, gentleness and intimacy. Which is exactly what I want to do with boudoir. I like that romantic and personal feel. And I had fun with this shoot. It was awesome to do and I hope to keep it up.
Thank you Tania <3
It’s Thursday evening; Wil’s watching a football (not American football, but actual foot ball. I refuse to call a game which actually involves feet & a ball, soccer) match and I’m checking out artwork on Society6, enjoying a glass of red wine to boot. (ValdiVieso red wine, Chile.) Figured I might update the blog, tell you what I’ve been up to.
It’s starting to feel normal again, somewhat – the days. My health is improving. I did decide to stop being “in denial” about having asthma problems again (in denial meaning, “being stubborn about it”) and went to the doctor a few days ago. He prescribed me some meds. I’m not happy about needing them again; I’ve been exercising a lot and working on my stamina, and have been improving so well. To need medication again to be able to carry on feels like I’m weaker somehow. But I had to get over myself and my pride, and just allow myself to get some help in that area. It’s a short-term, use-when-necessary medication, so at least it means that hopefully soon I’ll be over it again and fine on my own.
Then I made good on one of my new year’s resolutions last weekend by going shopping for new clothes. Yes, reader. Clothes. Okay, I suppose you don’t know me well enough to realize that this is unusual behavior for me. Because it is. I’m not a clothes shopper. I hate shopping for clothes, actually. I hate shoe shopping even more. (I do love shopping for bags, nail polish, scarves & books. Just for good measure.) Let’s say that people in my offline life are generally surprised when I tell them I went shopping for… clothes. Anyhoo. I’m finding more and more that I’m a skirt person. So a bought a few skirts, to start with. I also purchased a LOVELY teal scarf 50% off (I couldn’t let it just sit there, unpurchased, unwanted and lonely)… and I’ve gotten myself two new pairs of shoes. Girly shoes. Flats and heels. HEELS. Oh my goodness. I have ankle boots with heels, sure, but I’m talking pumps here. I’m 29 and have never owned a pair of heels before. But I have to say I feel good about my upcoming feminine wardrobe. Next week I think we might pop into the local H&M. But then I’m done for a while. Seriously. It’s all just too much shopping (when it’s really not that much).
I’m one step closer to finding more balance in my work life. I’m trying to do my best with making my hours work for me, and I think I’ll get there soon.
Well, that’s all I have time for right now. I’ll post more soon, with photos xo
A moment of inspiration (the song “The Glass Parade” by Cary Brothers) and this is the result. I’m very pleased. Yesterday as I was preparing dinner, I told Wil, “it’s not that I’m putting off taking photos. It’s that I have no idea what to do with myself right now. I don’t have any ideas to do anything with. It’s frustrating me, so much.” Wil, the voice of reason (most of the time) told me it would come on its own; being frustrated would only make it worse. I nodded, of course he’s right. And I think I just let it slide off me, that burden called Frustration.
And that evening, I had ideas again. I sketched out some new photos I plan to take within the next few weeks, depending on some other circumstances. And today I took the above self-portrait.
I think what mostly did it was realizing that while I should venture out of my comfort zone and try new things, that I have a style and I like it. I want to continue what I’ve been doing the past few years, and build on it. Expand it, mostly. Try new things but stay true to myself and what I find beautiful. This feels good to me.
I’m still loving this blog. I’ve just had an uneventful couple of weeks, mostly due to not feeling too peachy. (I’m not well, again. Bah. Think it’s a cold this time, though. Nothing too evil.) Hope to blog more again from now on.